Some items to have on your plan outline:
- Who is your target market? Do you have one or many different audiences? Prioritize them.
- Where do they get their information? Poll your customers and find out where they go on and offline to get business information.
- Who are your competitors? What are their marketing activities? What sets you apart from them? Create a competitive analysis and track their activity online with Google Alerts.
- What are your goals? Is it to renew previous customer business or attract new customers? Have a strategy for current/past customers as well as prospects.
- What is your budget? What funds do you have available?
- What resources do you have? Do you have marketing staff or do you need to outsource?
- How will you measure your marketing? Put some targets in place and be sure to follow up and do a review every few months.
These are just a few topics to have in your outline. Pricing, partners and product details may also need to be addressed.
Once you have your plan on paper, it will be easier to focus on your marketing strategy and stay the course.